By Wyndi Veigel
Farmersville kids are invited to get out their capes, masks and superhero personas as this year’s Summer Reading Club takes flight.
The Summer Reading Club, “Every hero has a story,” will kick off with a special program Thursday, June 4 with the Ringling Brothers Reading Clowns at 10 a.m. in the Civic Center.
Regular meeting time throughout the summer will be from 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. each Wednesday from June 10 through Aug. 19.
The club, sponsored by The Farmersville Times, will afford the chance for kids to be entertained through story time and crafts with a little fun learning thrown in. Other sponsors include the Farmersville Rotary Club, ACO Resale Shop, Ringing Bros. Circus, Legoland Discovery Center and Grapevine Sealife Aquarium.
“After the awesome year we had last year we are looking forward to Summer Reading Club and seeing all the children again this year,” Library Director Trisha Dowell said. “Our goal is to get them excited about reading not only for learning but for fun, and we hope the children enjoy the scheduled programs.”
Prizes will be given away throughout the summer for participation and reading. Prizes include bookmarks, tickets to Legoland and Sea Life Aquarium in Grapevine Mills and even a free child’s ticket to Barnum and Bailey Circus.
This year, there will be several additional programs, including a petting zoo from Heavenly Hooves (Aug. 12,) anti-bullying author Terry Markoff (July 8,) hands-on fun with the Farmersville Police and Fire Departments (July 15) and Kelly the Clown (June 4.)
Subjects and programs include:
- Thursday, June 4 – Special program – 10 a.m. Ringling Bros. clowns Ambassadors of laughter
- Wednesday, June 10 – Summer Reading Club kick off program – What’s your superhero name?
- Wednesday, June 17 – Working for The Daily Planet – Farmersville Times sponsored
- Wednesday, June 24 – Protectors of freedom – Veteran Ron Brown reading
- Wednesday, July 1 – We love Captain America! (July 4 themed) with Guest reader Veteran and councilmember John Politz
- Wednesday, July 8 – Everyone can be a hero to someone – Anti-Bullying with children’s author Terry Markoff
- Wednesday, July 15 – Heroes don’t always wear capes – Guest readers Police Chief Mike Sullivan and Fire Chief Kim Morris
- Wednesday, July 22 – Let’s save planet earth (recycling) with Guest Reader Marcy the Mad Scientist
- Wednesday, July 29 – Do you want to build a snowman? With guest reader Councilmember Jim Foy
- Wednesday, Aug. 5 – The wonderful world of Spiderman – Insects – Sponsored by the Farmersville Rotary Club
- Wednesday, Aug. 13 – A hero for the animals – Special program – Heavenly Hooves Petting zoo
- Wednesday, Aug. 19 – All Aboard the Seuss Caboose – final meeting
Kids of all ages are welcome to participate and parent participation is also recommended.